I love pickled red onions on my tacos and in salads. They add great flavor and color to your dishes, plus they are easy to make. This recipe is a quick pickle, so it won’t last as long as a true canned recipe would, but hey we’re all busy and canning takes time! The pickled red onion should last about 2-3 weeks if kept sealed in your fridge.
– 1 large red onion
– 1 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1 cup water
– 1 tbs sugar
– 1 ½ tsp course salt (I used Kosher)
– 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- Thinly slice your red onion. I used my slicer attachment on my food processor to ensure I have uniform, thin slices – plus it’s easier, quicker and eliminates those onion tears!
- In a small saucepan slowly heat up the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar and salt until they sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar (if you don’t have one around use another container that will seal tightly) allow to sit out without the lid on until cool.
- Once cool tightly put on lid and put in the fridge. Allow 24 hours before serving to ensure the best flavor and color.